Tip 1 – Choose only 1 thing to implement.
- What is the one thing that if you do it will make everything else easier?
- Is it doing the hard stuff first?
- Stop procrastinating?
- Hire a key employee? Maintenance coordinator, admin, business development person to get business?
- Put systems in place to streamline and train staff?
- Offer a new product or service?
Often we bite off more than we can implement and then we don’t accomplish any of our great ideas.
Tip 2 – Make a Plan
- An idea is just a dream without a plan.
- Outline the steps involved to implement your 1 thing for 2018.
- Break the steps down into smaller steps. This way you don’t get overwhelmed.
- What is a reasonable timeline to make it happen? Reasonable is the key word here.
- Calendar the steps and set aside the time to do each step.
- Calendar milestones. Are you going to check your progress monthly, quarterly?
Tip 3 – Take Action
- A plan isn’t any good if we don’t commit and focus our energy to make it happen. We just need to do it. Take that one step. Action is key to any success. Just like wanting to lose that 10 lbs by going to the gym daily it is great to have it calendared and have a plan but if we don’t actually commit to it and put our focus where we want to go we will lose our motivation and the plan will not be executed and another year will go by carrying around the same 10 lbs we have been wanting to lose for years.
- Accountability – who are you going to work with to stay on track? Mentor, Coach, Employee, Spouse?
- Who do you need on your team to make it happen? Delegate. You don’t have to do it alone even if you work alone. Who can you partner with – social media company, temp agency, business coach?
- What is your reward once you accomplish your 1 thing? Reward the milestones to keep motivated.
- Remind yourself WHY you are doing this 1 thing.
- What is the payoff? More time with family, growing the business, saving for retirement?
Success in 2018 can be as simple as 1-2-3. If this sounds too easy it isn’t. You have to work at “working the plan” and that means being focused and committed to yourself to set aside the time to do the small steps that will get you closer to your goal. Leaders know how to plan, focus, and take action. They also know how to delegate and ask for help. They know that they don’t have to have all the answers and they seek out those team members that can help them get over the humps and keep going.
I know all of you have what it takes to make your 1 thing happen in 2018. If you really want to make the commitment real send me your 1 thing for 2018. I will be happy to share with others all the amazing “things” that all of you are going to do in 2018. The power of putting it out there for everyone to see has weight behind it. No one wants to go back on their commitments. I challenge all of you to put your 1 thing out into the world. Put it on a sticky note, tell your coworkers, employees or even your clients.
Remember, people want to be part of success and want to support those on a mission. So, share your 1 thing and let’s make it happen in 2018!!!!
Kathleen Richards, is the owner of LandlordSource and The Property Management Coach. With her 12 years as a broker/owner of a property management company she speaks from experience. She authored Property Management A-Z and teaches regularly at community colleges and conferences on property management topics. She is active in her field and holds professional designations as Master Property Manager (MPM®) and Residential Management Professional (RMP®) from NARPM®. Kathleen has served at the local and state level on the boards for NARPM® (National Association of Residential Property Managers).
Disclaimer: LandlordSource does not represent the article content in this website as legal advice. It is shared information only and up to the reader to use this information responsibly, seeking legal advice as necessary to their business.